UA-40515938-1

Friday, April 26, 2013

Maintaining their Status in Social media


Nowadays, there are a lot of ways to share our thoughts and views on life, love and the rest. We have a handful of avenue to let our opinions flow and even to let people know of our status in life. Yes one’s status may be reflected in one’s post or photo in any social media sites. So how you are viewed by the majority is quite often generated by the tone of your writing or the content of your photo.

As I browse thru the famous social sites I stumble upon a number of posts that reflect this type of thinking. You might ask, what mentality am I talking about? I am talking about the mentality of False Gratitude. This is often cloaked by lines such as “I am so blessed, ” “Dream come true.” When used sparingly, I do get the intensity of those lines. Like “I am so blessed to have a new baby girl,” “I got promoted today! Dream come true!.”


But that doesn't come often these days. Often than not, these lines will be associated with brands, jewellery, cars and even perfumes. They parade around showing so much gratitude for what seems minute compared to a celebration of new life (a new born baby perhaps). And Gratitude is not the exact word for it, its more of a social display of $$$$$. It saddens me that we put so much love on things that in the end cannot love us back. People continue to up their ante (poker lingo) as they compete with each other on who has the better bag, better car and what not. We are so brand conscious these days that it takes us away from everything.

Don’t get me wrong, I do get the celebratory feeling of buying a new stuff every now and then. But to make it an idol where you have an album updated everytime you have a new authentic Louis Vuitton handbag or Jimmy Choo shoes is something else. This behavior is one of the main reason why there exists what we might call Facebook envy. It is when people feel dissatisfied with their lives because they tend to compare it with people who act like they have everything better on their side of the fence.

I hope one day our insatiable need for happiness will be filled by memories rather than brands.
 I believe Jessie J sang it better :                  
                                 “It's not about the money, money, money
                                  We don't need your money, money, money
                                  Forget about the price tag”