UA-40515938-1

Friday, September 27, 2013

FAVE! Medical Show

My fascination with medical shows started when I saw Dr. Oz on the Oprah Winfrey show where he showed a number of interesting organs inside the human body. I remember that one episode where he brought five pounds of fat, it was his way of spreading awareness regarding the growing issue of obesity in America. Dr. Oz is one of the medical show doctors that I truly like because he is blunt and honest about the diseases and toxins that corrupts the human body. Because of the medical knowledge that these shows provide to their audience it has gained popularity and audience ratings.

In the US, one of the popular medical shows is “The Doctors,” where they talk about a number of diseases and issues about health and fitness. They also show new and advance technological innovations that can help alleviate the pain of some intense illnesses. I do like the talk show feel of this program because it’ll make you feel like you are just chatting with these knowledgeable medical practitioners and they are also able to simplify complicated medical terms for you.


Months ago when I saw the show “The Doctors”, I thought I found the right medical show for me but then as I browse  the video library that is Youtube. I stumbled upon a British Television show that completely changed my whole standard on what a medical show should be. The British television show that I am talking about is the eye opening and very educational “Embarrassing Bodies”! To say that I am addicted to this show is a grave understatement. When I saw the first episode of the show my jaw was locked in amazement. I was seeing anything and everything that is part of the complex human body.

Are you curious? Check out the first episode of the show Embarrassing Bodies

Maybe I am just too enclosed in the US and Philippine TV programming scheme that is why I was a little taken aback by the whole show. It was first time for me to see the most intimate of things in a television show, it was indeed unexpected. At first, I thought they will blur the blood, the genitals and all those rotten teeth but they did not, they opted to show it to their audience.

But as I went pass the shock value that the Embarrassing Bodies show presented I was able to appreciate the knowledge that this program is providing to their audience. Because of this show I began to be more cautious when it comes to my diet and my own anatomy. Although some people may get squeamish because of the graphic images in the "Embarrassing Bodies" show, if we look at it in the stand point of a medical practitioner and a patient, it is actually a great way to disseminate information and proper warning to people. If we just open our mind and not just our eyes, we will learn a lot from this great medical show.